Monday, May 19, 2008

Memorial Day 2007 - part one


The night of Memorial Day I was going to go to a drive-in movie. I remembered that right on the way is the cemetery where my Grandpa is buried. What a beautiful cemetery. It was decorated with towering trees and blooming flowers and war plaques. The spirits were high (no pun intended) since many graves were celebrated earlier that day.

I found my Grandpa's grave overlooking a sparkling lake right under a humongous oak tree. Even so, my heart sank. There were no flowers or war plaques. How could I have waited so long to come and visit leaving this space bare? I decided the next day I would buy some perennial flowers to grace his presence every year. I purchased beautiful Hosta with the prettiest purple flowers to reside there and attract the animals of the area.

How lovely they would look, I thought as I pulled into the cemetery drive. Oh-my-gosh. There were flowers that had materialized over night. The grave site had ivy, and many other beautiful flowers planted all over the front of the space. As I planted the flowers I had brought, I thought it over and decided that it must be that the neighboring grave’s family that planted those. They must have felt bad and put some flowers here because it was so bare the day before. I enjoyed the act of planting these flowers and watering them. Such beautiful life was the only addition that could bring more laughter and love to the cemetery.

To be continued...

1 comment:

storybeader said...

what a nice gesture. Hostas are great.